In my past life, I was an interior decorator. Children, priorities and life made me choose another path but these are tips you should know. I paid a lot of money in student loans to learn these.
1. Make sure your curtains are lined in white or off white. The outside of your house with Thank You!
2. Place no more than seven pillows on your bed at one time. Remember "Along Came Polly"? Too many pillows makes for a crowded floor and usually an uptight woman.
3. Mirrors shouldn't take the place of artwork. No need to have a mirror in every room. Every room needs more artwork than a reflection unless you choose to group mirrors as artwork.
4. Don't jump into purchasing art work just because the walls are empty. Like with fashion, only buy if you love it!
5. Don't be scared to paint your cabinets. No one needs to see your vintage honey wheat oak cabinets.
6. Hang curtains. They are the jewel of the room. Make sure they reach right below the ceiling and hit the floor.
7. Choose a fun, funky light fixture for your bathroom! Leave the rest of the room simple and clean.
8. Use dimmers in your bathroom. You will be amazed at what you can hide with a dimmer.
9. Stop hanging so many family portraits in the hallway. It's over done and timely looking.
10. Get rid of so many of your nick-nacks. They require constant dusting and most people aren't into dusting.
Hope these help. What is your favorite decorating tip?